Why can’t I password protect a Word document?
Make sure you are using the latest updates for Office 365 app. Also check if there is any password protect issue on other Office files such as Excel 2016 workbook. Please temporary disable any third-party anti-virus program on this computer, then create a new document for a test.
How do you make a Word document password protected?
Add a password to Microsoft Office
Click the File menu, select the Info tab, and then select the Protect Document button. Click Encrypt with Password. Enter your password then click OK. Enter the password again to confirm it and click OK.
How do I password protect a Word document 2021?
Adding the Password
- In the File tab, select Info.
- Select the Protect Document button and find Encrypt with Password in the drop-down options. You will be presented with the Encrypt dialog box.
- In the provided space, enter the password you want to use.
Why can I not password protect a folder?
It is not possible to use Windows to password-protect a folder in Windows 8 or Windows 10. You will need to download third-party software or use a zipped folder. If you elect to use third-party software, be sure you download it from a reputable source.
How do you unlock a Word document?
Unlock a protected document
- On the Review tab, in the Protect group, click Restrict Editing.
- In the Restrict Formatting and Editing task pane, click Stop Protection.
- If you are prompted to provide a password, type the password.
How do I password protect a document in Word 2010?
Step 1 – Click the File tab, then Click Info. On the menu to the right Click Protect Document and Click Encrypt with Password. Step 2 – The Encrypt Document dialog will appear, Type in a strong password and then Click OK to finish.
How do I password protect a document?
How to set a password for an Office document
- Open the Word document.
- Click on File.
- Click on Info.
- On the right side, click the Protect document menu.
- Select the Encrypt with Password option.
- Type a password to protect the document.
- Click the OK button.
- Retype the password.
How do I password protect a file in Windows 10?
Password protect Windows 10 files and folders
- Using File Explorer, right-click on a file or folder you want password protected.
- Click on Properties at the bottom of the context menu.
- Click on Advanced…
- Select “Encrypt contents to secure data” and click on Apply.
How do I create a password protected file?
Select the file or folder you want to encrypt. Right-click the file or folder and select Properties. On the General tab, click the Advanced button. Check the box for the “Encrypt contents to secure data” option, then click OK on both windows.