How can we protect biodiversity quizlet?
Terms in this set (6)
- Legislating laws. laws are passed to protect national parks and nature reserves.
- corridors. pathway between two habitats this way a species can have more genetic diversity but diseases can be easily passed.
- sustainable use. …
- bioremediation. …
- biological augmentation. …
- captive breeding program.
How is biodiversity protected?
Maintain wetlands by conserving water and reducing irrigation. Avoid draining water bodies on your property. Construct fences to protect riparian areas and other sensitive habitats from trampling and other disturbances. Manage livestock grazing to maintain good quality range conditions.
How can biodiversity be conserved or protected?
protection and development of new endangered habitats , often by making National Parks. replanting hedgerows because there is higher biodiversity in them than the fields they surround. reducing deforestation and the release of greenhouse gases. recycling rather than dumping waste in landfill sites.
Why should we protect biodiversity quizlet?
Why is biodiversity important? Biodiversity is important because it provides us with Natural Resources (Food, Water, Wood, etc.) Natural Services (Pest Control, Air and Water Purification, etc.) and of course, Aesthetic Pleasure.
Why should we protect biodiversity?
Healthy ecosystems clean our water, purify our air, maintain our soil, regulate the climate, recycle nutrients and provide us with food. … Biodiversity is the key indicator of the health of an ecosystem. A wide variety of species will cope better with threats than a limited number of them in large populations.
How can we protect biodiversity as a student?
Let’s take a look at 35+ ways the environment benefits from the focus of biodiversity.
- Purchase products that have eco-labels for reference. …
- Recycle all plastic and glass products as a household. …
- Reduce or eliminate the use of products that come in aerosol cans. …
- Purchase eco-friendly appliances for your home and office.
How can you protect the environment and the different species of plants and animals?
Protect the Environment
Participate in or hold your own local trash clean-up to help protect the habitats of imperiled species and other wildlife. Reduce, reuse, recycle! Reduce: Manufacturing consumer products uses energy and natural resources, and creates waste and pollution.
How biodiversity sustain and protect us?
Biodiversity conservation protects plant, animal, microbial and genetic resources for food production, agriculture, and ecosystem functions such as fertilizing the soil, recycling nutrients, regulating pests and disease, controlling erosion, and pollinating crops and trees.
How can we protect biological diversity and stop the 6th mass extinction?
Tips for Preventing the Sixth Mass Extinction
- Spread the word that the crisis is real.
- Reduce your carbon footprint.
- Support efforts to educate women in developing nations in order to slow population growth.
How does captive breeding help protect biodiversity?
‘Captive breeding programs’, broadly speaking, serve to use hatcheries to maintain populations that are unable to survive in the wild for at least a portion of their lifecycle (Utter and Epifanio 2002). The proximate goal of these programs is to prevent imminent extinction of declining species or populations.
How can we reduce the loss of biodiversity?
10 Ways to Protect and Conserve Biodiversity
- Government legislation.
- Nature preserves.
- Reducing invasive species.
- Habitat restoration.
- Captive breeding and seed banks.
- Reduce climate change.
- Purchase sustainable products.